September 19, 2007

Checking Out GTD

I'm not a GTDer yet, but from what I'm seeing so far, I like David Allen's system.

After seeing GTD come up in a lot of places, getting curious about the GTD cards in the Hipster PDA templates I found and was playing with a while ago, and because of my natural attraction to an interesting-looking productivity system, I bought the book I've had on my mental wishlist for months now.

I've been reading for the past two days, either on lunch break, in that block of time I have between work and aerobics class, and in the evening before I go to bed (not so much then...since I got this job, I haven't been so keen on staying up until 2 a.m. and now I find I'd be happy to be asleep by 11 or 11:30 most days...now to convince myself that's a good thing and actually do it). Tomorrow, when I'm more awake and don't have somewhere to be after work, I'm going to collect as much as I can in two hours and put it into my "in" box.

It has to be worth a shot. For one thing, Allen advocates the use of a label maker, and I've wanted one of those since I was a little kid, anyway. That little detail currently puts him on my "cool author" list (which is also currently contained in my head). I've put off that purchase for years, since I'm so cheap, anyway, so here was an excuse (whee! productivity tools!). It's probably a good thing I didn't have a label maker back when I was heavily conlanging, though, or I'd have labelled everything in different forms of constructed elvish.

0 ramblings back: