September 24, 2007

The 100 Thing Challenge Modified for a Crafty Halfelven

My weekend started with processing my inbox, but the inbox itself was quickly buried with craft supplies when I took the bed out of my room and stuck the mattress on the floor. Somehow, even with all the stuff that was under the bed pulled out and piled around the room, the floor still looks clearer. Maybe it's just the new arrangement, and the bulk from the bed removed. The simplicity of the mattress on the floor probably lends to the cleaner appearance.

Since I have to do something with all of this stuff in my room, and I'm still intrigued by the 100 Thing Challenge, I've decided to clear some of it out once and for all. But 100 things seem too few when I knit, sew, make journals, embroider, and keep a bunch of basic supplies for those and other crafts. So I've decided to modify the 100 Thing Challenge into the 1 Closet Challenge.

Here are my rules:

  • As long as it fits on my craft closet shelves, it can stay.
  • It needs to (preferably) be neatly contained in a labeled plastic box. I have several of these, and I can fit three to a shelf. I also have smaller ones in the same style, but they can stack on top of the large boxes on the same shelf.
  • I must clearly label the box. I've thrown too many random things into a box because it wasn't clearly labeled.
  • My exceptions: I have two under-the-bed boxes that I bought this year and they won't fit into the closet. I'll allow supplies in these, and store them in the basement, since I used the boxes to store fabric when they were still under the bed. So it's not a "pure" one closet challenge, but it comes close for me.
I've been doing decently since Sunday. Two of the five shelves are cleaned and the formerly messy, piled up, overflowing paper and plastic boxes are labeled and contain similar items. I've found a good deal of trash in those boxes, as well as many things that I either didn't want or didn't need. After all, if I have two interchangable needle sets and can do magic loop, why do I also need several pair of straight needles and DPNs? I've yet to go through my sewing notions so thoroughly, but at least they fit into one box. And I have several shopping bags full of fabric to give away, and found a place that will take it and put it to good use.

So I think I'm off to a good start.

0 ramblings back: